Saturday, January 19, 2008

Hydrate

Jan 18th



"Water is the most neglected nutrient in our diet, but one of the most vital for our survival"

Kelly Barton



WOD

for time 5 rounds

20 pullups

20 situps

20 power cleans 95# barbell

100 jump rope

20 Kettlebell front squats 2-16kg

20 ring pushups.

18:18 min.

When it comes to maintaining hydration in the winter, I am usually dried up as a prune. I just don't have the thirst stimulation for some reason regardless of exercise or duration. Sometimes I can go out on a long bike ride and never reach for the water bottle for the whole trip unless I perform some mantra" drink, drink,drink, you big fink". Basically, maintaining hydration is my most haphazard part of my fitness regiment.
So to correct this problem, I make the watering more pleasant. I put it in stylish bottles, with graduation of oz or liters, that way I have a quanitave value to go by. I make sure that I have at least 1 gal or 4 32oz bottle in the frig at all times. I always carry 2-32oz bottle ever where I go event if I don''t drink them. Then I add some fresh lemon slices in each to give it some flavor. lastly I use water at each meal and go for at least 16oz when eating.
Now there is all kinds of data as to how much water we need to stay healthily and that can be close to one gallon per day for men and haft gal. for females. Drinking one gal of water is never easy with a busy life unless you make it a high priority habit. Usually when going on one of the many crash diets out there, they suggest a gal of water per day, so as part of you current plan you make a concerted effort to drink that amount.
Unfortunately we don't have an internal level indicator to determine if we have sufficient water content in our body and cells. Can you drink too much? I guess so, but how do you tell that? without some kind of medical intervention. Anyway I don't try to get too rapped up in my watering,I just drink when I think about it and use water as my main liquid intake, followed buy a small intake a vodka.

No comments: