Monday, February 04, 2008

Powerlifting for basic strength.

Feb 4th. Monday. Snowing temp 32.
"Power never takes a back step, only in the face of more power."
Malcolm X

WOD:
Back squats: sets of 3.
225# for sets of three.

Kettlebell training: 50 reps each hand do not set down only in real pain. 20Kg kettlebell for each exercise.
50 reps swing
50 reps snatch
50 reps front squat
50 reps cleans
50 reps push press.

The back squats reminded me of my powerlifting days, then I remembered why I got away from it. Mostly it was because of the supportive gear you have to wear in competition, I did not like for a number of reasons. The bench shirt made you look lame and I never got more than 20 extra pounds over raw out of them. The squat suit was a bitch to put on expecially around the legs. It would leave red broken blood vessels when it was removed. You could not breath when the straps were up. I would expend more energy putting on the gear then making the lift. You could only use them a few times and they became "training suits" at 100 dollars a pop, it become an expensive sport.

Yes, there is now "raw meets" if you want to compete without the fashion statement of Inzer gear, however it came too late for me as I was on to other things and no longer interested in competing. The justification for this "who-has-the-best-tailor gear usage, was safety. Now no one wants to do anything unsafe, do we? My experience show me that It was not any safer for the lifter, if anything, you lift weights, your structure my not be able to accomidate. thats all it was about; get the BIG numbers, no matter how lame you look on the lifting platform. If powerlifting is to get into the olympics, the supportive gear has to go. Anyway, everyone should who uses weights, should learn the many techniques of the squat, bench, and deadlift to enhance you basic strength.










No comments: