Saturday, May 03, 2008

Just a basic hard day at the office.


May: 3rd.

" Man is the cruelest animal"


F. Nietzsche


WO du jour: "Murph" with 20# X-Vest. in honer of Lt. Mike Murphy USN, was killed in Afghanistan in 2005. Any discomfort I get out of the routine is insignificant compared to the sacrifice that Lt. Murphy made for his country and freedom.

Warm up: join mobility and that's enough.

Mile run in the rain with vest: 12 min.( had to get accustomed to the extra weight).

Squats,push ups and pulls: 19:14 good time for the first time wearing the vest.

2nd mile in the rain: 9: 02 felt a lot better so I must be getting to like the vest( ya right)

Total time: 40:16

I have done this routine prior in the 30 min range without the vest, but with, puts a lot more stress on the my old joints. I kept the heart rate at least 80% all the time. That routine is the longest I have every used the vest before. The last time I used the vest I only ran 100 meter intervals so having the vest on for over a haft an hour is new.


If anyone out there is inclined to gain weight at lets say 20-25 lbs, just put on the X-Vest for any training session, and you will never gain weight ever again! When I took the vest off my heart rate dropped 15 BPM.

I was running outside in the rain today and I can recall the many days I have run outside in cold, wet or snowing weather over the years, to get my workouts in. If you let the weather inhibit your training in any way, you may as well sit home and read a book. I feel sorry for those who go to a gym or health club to run on a treadmill to get their training in so they don't get wet or cold. Little wonder people's immune systems are weak, you have to challenge your immune system just like your muscles, heart and CNC.

Some of my best training sessions have been in the rain especially in the hot summer days. To breath fresh air with max O2 content unlike a building, is the greatest benefit of training in the elements.

speaking of the elements. It good to use different environments or locations to train, so you always stay stimulated and above reduce stress. Yes, training outside reduces stress when com paired to training inside. Today it was a mix of inside and outside training at my gym. The last time I did this it was at the park where they have a place for pull ups. The next time I do "Murph" routine, I have a new location and another park and a good place to run.

If you look at it from a gym owners perspective, he or she wants you to utilize the facilities they have year round. However, on a warm sunny day, why spend your training time on a machine or cardio class, in an stuffy AC induced environment, when you can get some sun, max O2 and natural tanning if you desire. People have to get out of the mind set that you need to have a gym membership to be fit. In reality, outside trained persons are much fitter then those who train exclusively inside year round. There is also a technique called " ecotherapy" or a "green" agenda, for mental health treatment, for those who are in various forms of depression, can be treated by exercising outside.


I am not saying you need to get rid of you gym membership, you just can't get hung up with training all the time inside. Use the gym for really bad weather and when you need people to motivate you. When the weather is favorable, and you need a change, then by all means train outside.








No comments: