Friday, May 09, 2008

I been stupid before,and will again in the future




May 10th.





"There is nothing worse then aggressive stupidity"
Goethe

WO du jour:

warm up: Joint mobility and foam roller
30mile+ bike ride with the club. Average pace of 16.8, roads really suck, fat tire to add to the excitement, still cold. Legs responded well and no real stiffness after.

Latter in the day: battleing ropes for a few minutes and kettlebell "griptastic."

Years ago in the 80' s when I was running ultras, my diet consisted of 80-90% carbohydrates. Basically I subscribed to the Pritikin Diet which is just the complete opposite of Atkins diet, with all most no fat or protein in your diet. We know today that a diet of such high carbs if not selected properly, can lead to over weigh and sugar issues. Looking back at some of my pictures when training using such a diet, I looked thin but drawn in appearance. Sometimes people would ask me if I was sick, but although I look bad, I physically felt OK and was able to maintain a running routine of 10 to 15 miles a day. To add to the stupidness of my diet, which consisted of pizza, bagels, pasta, and lots of beer for hydration, which is far from a performance diet of a world class competitor.

However, at that time the diet trends of the day was heading to low fat, low protein diets to control weight, blood pressure and diabetes, which we now suspect as one of the main factors for the huge increase in obesity in that last 20 years. Fat makes you fat;right? Looking back at my diet when I was running, I tended not eat a lot to maintain a low body weight, so although my eating habits were piss poor, by not eating the volume of the carp food kept me from gaining any weight and no health issues.

Today, I follow a very balanced diet of high protein, carbs of fruit and veggies, some fats and absolutely no sugar. It more of a Zone Diet, as this is targeted more for performance training diet as a regiment then most, but I don't follow it to the letter like most diets. I still working on a volume formula to balance work output to required calorie need. This is the hardest part of performance eating, which is food intake volume, once you establish the right foods to ingest. I found that the higher the quality of the food, the less of it you need to eat. But the bench mark for effectiveness of you diet, is body fat to muscle percentage, not just the scale or appearance, plus how well you perform without illness. Yes, most people don't feel good all the time and may be borderline sick. You may hit on the ideal formula right away, or you may take years of experimentation to come to what is an optimum diet that will allow you to perform at the level you require, without illness.

If you want to learn about all the diets ever used, go to www.chasefreedom.com/ they have reviews on them all. You will find there is not one great diet, what you have to do is eat good food, just enough to supply energy, and repair. If you are training or training someone else, then you will have to plan more carefully the food you eat and how much to consume to maintain performance. Your diet becomes part of your training planning at the same level as you fitness planning.

Have a nice day suffering and remember the mission is sacred.

No comments: