Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Pain mangement

Dec 12th

"Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional."

Unknown.


WOD "Angie"
for time:


100 squats

100 pushups

100 situps

100 pullups

18:20

the 100 pullups are a killer even with an assist and takes the longest to complete.


The dictionary defines "Pain" as localize physical suffering or a basic bodily sensation induced by a noxious stimulus, followed by some evasive action." I also heard from my drill instructor in the military that " pain is weakness leaving the body". All of which is nice to understand what you are feeling as you train but there is more to it. Once pain comes into you life when training, you have several options, back off, keep going and feel the discomfort, or ignore its effect.

That's what is called associating or disassociating pain management. Basically you can ignore the effects of training discomfort by looking at a TV or reading which in my mind, defeats the mind body connection for physical improvement. However, to really get the best out of pain when training, is to associate or hone in on what hurts or feels bad so you know what is discomfort or what is actually hurting you. Yes,as you mask the discomfort of training by taking the thought process out of it, you take the chance of injury besides the benefits of training effect.

When I ran ultra marathons, people would ask if I got bored running for 7,12,18 hours continuously. I would answer " no, I had plenty to consider ever step to make sure that I completed the mission", and did so without injury. All the time I was running I would monitor my body activities, evaluate the current conditions, and make sure I had drank and eaten enough to sustain me until the end of the race. The end result of this pain observation, is that although I subjected myself to some very arduous events, I did so with not injuries other than some blisters and sore feet.








1 comment:

purchase essays said...

I a frequent visitor, at all. I would like to detail in the explanation, to answer questions in the general simplicity and specificity