Thursday, January 08, 2009

The experts have spoken... crossfit is unfit.

Jan. 9th.





I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong."
-Leo Rosten

WO du jour: Rest day(so it my way of resting)
100 burpees on fists, 100 situps, 4x2 min sets on heavy bag, 2 min fig 8 and hold with 24kg kettlebell.

I subscribe to the chat group called "supertrainer" made up of trainers, coaches, phys ed teachers and all types of fitness aficionados. As of late the main topic of the day has been CrossFit as a exercise system. Of coarse the experts were explaining that the GPP will not serve the elite athletic. So fucking what!
Crossfit primary focus is real average Joe who have to be fit to perform at their professions other that an over paid prima dona elite athletic. If some fitness system gets a large group in some level of fitness, and they enjoy it, then its much better than some high end periodization system that take a mathematician and a physiologist to manage.

There is nothing wrong with Crossfit except some jealousy by trainers who are not profiting form it or they were not the ones who thought this up to enjoy its success. Personally I did not affiliate as I did not plan to be tied down to a business even though I follow most of Crossfit exercise model. I have my own model which works for me a provides me with plenty of flexibility.

At my age, I have to modify some of the crossfit workouts for lacking some of the flexibility issues form a number of previous injuries, but I keep with the modality intended as close as possible. Sometimes I can do the volume,weight, or work capacity, especially when using kettlebells on a lot of the routines. Do I perform all the routines? hell no! Like the muscle up, which I can do in sections, but my shoulders won't support that benchmark exercise, or a good overhead squat with the barbell nor kipping pullup. Therefore, it not in my cards to be able to be proficient enough to coach crossfit totally, so I will never have a small box affiliate.

Have I benefited from Crossfit. You bet your ass! I have a low body fat, ripped arms and legs, resting pulse rate of 40 bpm. I can exercise all day if I want, and do some days, and a fitness level of a person haft my age. So when I hear the critics of crossfit, come talk to me and I will set you straight.

Incidentally, There have been elite athletics who tried to make it in the SEAL program, which is the ultimate GPP program and left with there pants around their ankles.

Have a nice day suffering and remember the mission is sacred.

No comments: