Monday, November 24, 2014

zercher squats and KB floor pressing


11/23/14

Warm-up, Jumping jacks, jump rope, goblet squat, joint mobility, Indian clubs for shoulders, stretch bands, 100 sit-ups. 20 push-ups.

500 meter row: below 2:00/mi. pace. At 5# damper.

Zercher Squats with 2” bar: 70# to 190# in 8 sets of 5. Full depth on all. 5 box jumps after each squat set.

Floor Kettlebell press: 16,20,24,28,kg. for sets of 5 reps. (Next time the 32kg.)

One arm Dumbbell row: 60,75,80,85 lbs.

Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 10 with 50lbs.

Prone Dumbbell tri extension 3 sets of 10 reps.




I love the Zercher squats as it is spine friendly with little compressive back forces. It also has great Posterior activation as well as abdominal contraction. The only down side is the pain inflicted on the intersection of the bis and forearm. This can be alleviated by using a 2” bar or adding various padding. It’s good to do inside the power rack so if you have to bail out, you can set safety pins and the drop is unloaded by releasing the arms.  ( that is an older picture when I was 80lbs heaver a year ago, but I still can lift the same amount.... its all good!)

11/22/14

Too cold outside for bike ride..pussy! Ride on turbo inside for 40 mins. With some intervals thrown in. Not bad session. Used training vid.
Ken

This mission is sacred

1 comment:

Prof B Dog said...

Just added zercher squats to my training. Not going too heavy, until I get my balance under control. I do agree it feels fantastic on my back and it even feels like it's lining my back up as I do them.