Thursday, February 18, 2010

watch your back is not a threat.

Feb. 17


Todays training:


Morning: short run


Warm-up: Indian Clubs for 10 min TGU.


“Convict conditioning-


Pullups


Pushups Hindu style


KTE.


Bulgarian squats off box.

I was taking to some of my fire department members and out of the 5 that was sitting around the table ,4 had back issues, and 2 were under advanced evaluation, or treatment. MRI, cortisone shots, Chiropractor work, which is becoming a national pastime.

I am not a poster boy for back health, but it was my chose due to my physical activities and occupations that I have a back X ray that can be used as a medical study. Although my X rays look like I should be in a wheel chair, I do everything today I mostly want, in terms of athletics activities ,with little limitations.

How did I get such a degenerated back? Poor training methods, and just plain trying to do things the body was not intended to do. In my early years I studied martial arts and got throw to hard floors, grounds and kicked in the back. Then I decide to run a few thousand miles of year for over a decade, driven my back into concrete, lift weights that was not meant to lift On top of all that my chosen profession as a independent contractor to perform hazardous responses has topped off my back what was not damaged from fun. So I left with a back by mostly chose, but decided not to give up on my self and continue a very physical life

I did not really focus on my back problems directly until I started to see results after converting over to using kettlebell as a primary fitness tool about 9 years ago. As a trainer who studied the anatomy in school in various courses, the back as focal point exercise anatomy was more defense rather than direct attention. We were always trained to consider the back during exercise so you attempted to insulate the athletics from injury but what about the average citizen who was just working or playing hard. When frankly , they are fornicated.

Kettlebells opened my eyes to the increased joint mobility especially the back and hips, which caused most of muscle dysfunction. With most of the exercise used in kettlebell fitness and functional movements, tended to rehab or strengthen the zone around the dysfunction, which restored much of the movement past losses, and prevented future medical interventions which today is mostly drugs or therapy.(the medical professions can tell you you have a problem with great pictures, but can’t tell you how to recover what is lost.)

Most of the exercise in fitness gyms today does not insulate the spine from injury by addressing the weakness in the structure of the back(spine) and how it can be strengthen. This is because most exercise promoted for fitness, is isolation of the legs and arms and when the “core” is trained, it for the” 6 pak” promotion. Its only when you get into some of the functional training, methods, kettlebells, or OL lifting do you exercise all planes of exercise, frontal, traversase, sagittal. When the back is considered in exercise in fitness clubs, its what not to do, like deadlifts, hyperextensions, bridging and not encouraging direct exercise, to prevent people from self injury, poor exercise form or selection. Of all the exercises one should be doing is back mobility, and strenghting to protect lumbar structure. (mostly because they don’t have the knowledge to training or educate people on back health and prevention that contiures an active work an physical life. )

Feb. 16th.

Today training:

Rowing (snow storm again)


Kettlebell cleans: 10 sets of10 reps with the 32kg.


Burpees 10 sets of 10

That was enough to kill a healthly animal.

No comments: