Saturday, February 13, 2010

If you run, keep it flat and simple foot wear

Feb. 11


Todays training:


Morning: short run


Warm-up: Indian Clubs for 10 min. ,


“Convict conditioning”: 50 pushups on incline


20 pullups


100 leg ups


100 prisoner squats


5 Rounds for time


500 meters rowing.


Barbell power cleans: sets of 12 reps


2-Kettlebell thrusters from a 12” box


34 min. Not an easy session. I did not stop once but did slow on the thrusters;they sure get your attention..

I was just thinking as I was running this morning in my cheap cross country shoes as the roads are still have a lot of snow on my course. Really, that is the shoe style I should use most of the time anyway. There is more information coming out all the time, that the running shoes of today are expensive , with continuous innovations, but don’t really aid in injury prevention as advertized.

If you think of running as a exercise that needs to address technique ,some way to loose weight or do your “cardio” bullshit, you should work on your running form instead of shoe selection or calories burned . Running shoes don’t need a lot of heel thickness as most of the foot contact is on the forefoot. By having a lot of heel lift on your running shoes causes some transmitted instability to the knee and hip function. I ran most of my cross country and trail races in low racing flats so I could feel the footing as it is constantly changing unlike running on tracks or roads. Never had any injuries except of a little twist on occasion, but when you run on hiking trails for hundreds of miles each year, its expected. Running bare foot is the best option, but that is only for those who grew up in that environment.

No comments: