Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Use the correct tools

Oct 14th.

today's training:
warm up with Indian clubs, jump rope( its really plastic) stretch bands.
100 pull ups
100 ring dips( first time and did them so my toes touches as I was not use to the depth.)
4x10 reps of belt squats off boxes.
50 GHD situps and back extensions


second session: 50 min walk-run.


I like using kettlebells myself for a lot of my training, but I think the general public tries to use kettlebells in all types of creative exercises which will yield marginal results, but would be better served by using the proper exercise tool. I see people deadlifting with kettlebells when they should be using heavy dumbells or a barbell instead. The heavy kettlebell you see in a gym is a 40kg and most people men an woman when instructed in deadlift can lift two times that much in a few sessions. Exercises like Turkish get up and windmill are strongmen type exercises and not really the function of kettlebells unless you are using extra heavy kettlebells like 50 and 60kgs. I routinely deadlift with 300-450 lbs so I don't use kettlebells for that exercise.



The kettlebell is designed to be a strength work capacity tool not an absolute strength tool like a heavy barbell can accomplish. Therefore if you can long cycle 2-32kg kettlebells for reps, then you should be using 200 to 300lbs barbell power cleans for a couple of reps for absolute strength development.

No comments: