Sunday, October 21, 2007

Drink to your health

Oct. 21th.

"Be careful of reading health books, as you may die of a misprint. "


Mark Twain




Sports drinks such a Powerade or Gatorade are some of the more popular sports or fluid replacement drinks. I think I have some good experience in this area as I have participate in sports that required performance for hours at a time. Now the government safety Nazi have started to look at banning the drinks in schools to keep little John and Mary from getting too fat. Well it better than soda, but it still has 50 sugar calories in 8 oz serving. I think there is some confusion that they have some health benefit by having a sports use connotation. Or at least you may look sporty drinking this product. Or even wearing it.

Most of my career I have been working or playing in very uncomfortable situations. As a hazmat responder I would sweat and have had body temperature that would kill most people when working in rubber suits. I never used or had to consume sports replacement drinks on a planned or regulator basis. If I did use them it was always deluted 50 percent with water due to the taste. Also I found the it you need calorie replacement it was not enough and as a mineral replacement it did not have all the body required. Basically water was my fluid replacement.

As a long distance runner, I found that when running marathons of 50 mile and over, continuously ingestion of complex carbohydrates and protein was a better replacement then a sugar drinks as it did not give the up and down glycemic effect.

Today Practice:
First thing in the morning when to the track and did 10-100 yds sprints(in bare feet). after each interval did 10-14Kg kettlebell Wall-ball shots. That is a real killer session with no rest between the sprints and the kettlebells. That over 100 reps of wall balls which is normally sufficient session. Who made up this sick session?




No comments: