Friday, November 26, 2010

Small fish bowl vs large fish bowl fitness evironment.

Nov. 26th.


Warmup: Indian Clubs, pully and light dumbbell for shoulders and jump rope for 10 min. for legs.
10,9,8,7,5,4,3,2,1,reps AFAP (no rest between sets) WHAT?
Kettlebell trusters 20kg.
Pullups (pronated)
TACFIT Kettlebell crunches. 4x20 with 20kg. kettlebell.

The simple concept of a Small vs large fish bowl I leaned early in life. Simple, I had two gold fish as a kid in a basic 1 quart fish bowel and I noticed the fish did not grow. My father, said if you want your fish to grow you need more room. Sounds simple. So I got this large fish Tank that required 100 gals(huge change in water volume) and put my two pet gold fish in their new home. You guess it! They increased in size before my eyes from 2 in. to 6 in in one year. Great observation!


Now relate this to your fitness training. If you train in a small environment you elevate to meet that environment. If you train in a large or outside environment, you never reach an end point,at least in regards to your conceptual environment. I may be all fucked up on this all too simple concept, but it worked for me!


This spring I set up an outside training platform outside my small box gym at home. All summer I trained outside even when it rained(I have a roof). Guess what? I increased in size and strength so much that, I needed a new wardrobe and my body wt. when from 190 to 218lbs in a few months. Did the change result from training outside totally? I can’t answer that as there is too many variables, but I know one thing, even discounting the Crossfit type training and Kettlebells, I never changed much in a year like I did this year! Go figure!
Nov.22


Warm-up: Indian clubs, stretch bands joint mobility.
10 min jump rope.
1000meter rowing-5x”Cindy”
800meters rowing-4x”Cindy”
600 meters rowing-3x”Cindy”
400mters rowing-2x”Cindy”
200 meter rowing-1x”cindy”
31:50


I was reading in the a fitness club trade journal that there should be a much larger percentage of “Baby-Boomers” going to fitness clubs or gyms. This is based on the demographics of the age group born between 1946-72 Who are into retirement age and sufficient number to constitute 40% of the club member. We all know that this is not happening as, the percentages are more like 10-20%. There may be some clubs that have a larger percentages in the area, but even those areas are not performing that well when it comes to attracting “boomers” or the impact of the recession that has hit the boomers hard and no longer have the disposal income. When you go to the next group; seniors, For-get-about-it! They are not inclined and fitness facilities are not senior friendly for the most part , except for “Y” s.


If I was a commercial gym owner, I would have a lot of sleepless nights trying to determine what age group or latest fitness craze will bring people to the door. However, the biggest problem facing a gym owner is retention of current members, which requires you go do constant recruitment and it related advertizing costs when you lose your annual contracted members. With only a small percentage of the American public actually training consistently is so small, why go into a business that has a low margin of profit and its labor to keep the doors open in the first place. Remember largest fitness organizations are in Chapter 11, illustrates just how this business is doing.


My suggestion, if you are serious about being fit, invest in your own personal equipment and set up a “box” of your own. Or you can go find a small group of similar interest where you all can train, without all the endless drama of the fitness business, and above all the crappy music and TV sets.
Nov. 21
3 mile run in the early morning. Steady pace last haft mile was a little but its getting better in regards to maintain pace for the time.
Back to the house for some Kettlebell swings to cool down.
Nov.18th.
Skills review: take a large number of exercises both Kettlebell and body weight and review the technique by performing each with 10 reps with various weights with concentration on the movement. Basically it programming so when the daily workout is performed it is done with good form. Spent an hour and used about 30 exercises but did not hit all the list I developed. We all tend to get sloppy over time unless you have a trainer standing over your head every so often. I not a form Nazis, but you have do the process as an effective body form exercise, based on your limitations.


Actually it was a good session even with just 10 reps each technique. It also looks at exercises you don’t normally do because you don’t use exercises you suck at. That human nature.
Nov. 17th.
2 mile run at home on my hilly road. Its been a long time since I did a run on my road as it a one mile up hill finish

No comments: