Saturday, January 02, 2010

Kettelbell applications to training and life.

Jan 1st. Happy new year!

Today's training:
stretch bands, Indian clubs, light kettlebells

8 sets of Battling Ropes in 1 min sets.
4 sets of kettlebell swings with 20kg in 1 min sets
4 sets of kettlebell cleans with 20 kg in 1 min sets.
stretching;

Later in day 2 mile run; easy pace as there is a race this weekend.

Most people at the end of the year look at the traditional new years resolutions based on what they want to change in his or her lives. Its a time to assess and reset ones life. Well I did that annual routine years back, but now for the last few years I have been using a "To-Do" list, which is more effective as you can add and adjust activities of all kinds as conditions change year after year. In my situation, the success rate has been good as long as they are well defined objectives that are not so global as shit like " I want to be a better person" I want to loose weight".

what I put down on the my to-do list is items that support a much larger objective of doing things that have applications to my life as I want to live it and also being able to adjust to my surroundings as they change. So therefore a to-do list is the simplest way to accomplish my mission and at the same time be able to make small changes they become necessary.

I assessed my training logs, which I have not done in some time, and found that the volume and intense nature has been great, but I ask myself "for what"? In 2009 I made big strides in work capacity, with the ability to recuperate, and to avoid injury. that's the good news. The not so good news is that I forgot to define a life application to the process, and not just become fit, just because I can! That has to change this year as fitness and training should have a application to what you want to do in your life style. That seems to happen to most who enter into a fitness program that don't use it in some pratical way directly.

As part of the need for resetting my training; its good, but needs some changes based on conditions that have occurred in the national front as a late. There are some new things happing in the Kettlebell world and crossfit, which seem to be evolving as more people go into those to new activities.

this year, the AKC has started a new program to attract the stronger athletics by adding a new competition with shorter timed sets using much heavier kettlebells. That makes sense, as whats the use of having kettlebells over 32kg if they are not used to compete with. Since I like using heavy weights to maintain strength and the fact that I have a body structure that is more advantageous to one arm lifting, I intend to use this protocol this year and see how it works.

Crossfit is also changing as of late adding more SMA( subject matter experts) from all areas of fitness to enhance the Crossfit program, and attract a much larger following like the kettlebell program is attempting to do. I never had a name for it, but personally always tried to find the best in each discipline to train from usually out side the program I was working with. Now with the introduction of crossfit football, endurance, powerlifting, strongman certs, the Crossfit program is still evolving and increasing the audience.

In the last couple of months things are becoming more concerning in regards to our national safety and security based on the attacks by terror groups and our failed attempts to prevent these situations from happing. Since the Sept attack on 9-11, the government has spend mountains of money and developed a national system to prevent and protect the nation for future attacks. Fast forward almost 9 years later and billions of dollars, we are actually less safe as it would appear, as the attacks in our county and overseas have been low-tech, soft target in nature and successful in their attacking. These are not even attacks by skilled operators like our special forces, but low trained but motivated single operators, effetely subverting our national defense system. That's has to change on a national level or civilian population will have to provide or take responsibility for our own defense. More on this.

Also this year I want to change my blog name and identify to a more tactical and personal defensive programming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At last, I could find your post once again. You have few [url=http://tipswift.com]useful tips[/url] for my school project. This time, I won't forget to bookmark it. :)