Sunday, January 02, 2011

A new years face lift for my kettlebell training program.

Jan.1st. Happy New Year!!!


1st session: 3 mile walk/run in timed sequence. Easy pace with a 38deg early morning.


2nd session: TacFit joint mobility routine for 30 min. stretch bands, and form roller.
Body weight interval session for 25 mins.
Short WOD with dumbbells and kettlebells 3sets of 5 reps AFAP
DB-Pullover to a squat.
DB-renegade row-push up
DB lunge and hammer curl
KB heavy one arm swing.


A face lift for my Kettlebell fitness program in the year 2011;

I have a great “small box gym” in the rear of my house, so there is absolutely no reason not to train due to weather or equipment. Toys, I have them all, a there is no exercise equipment I don’t have. So the big problem is utilizing them in a program so they each don’t collect dust. Example would be the log press. It’s a great piece of equipment but I only us it once a month for fun lifts. Another apparatus is the sled, which I should use a lot more but seems to be avoided. Anyway when planning out my training for the coming year, I will integrate the various tools but substituting Barbell, dumbbells, kettlebells and sand bags for lifts and exercises which have a preferred equipment set, like squat cleans/thrusters. Squat cleans normally use a barbell, but when you can use Dumbbells makes the lift another octave higher intensity.


This coming year I intend to use more complex exercise more in line with the tactical martial arts I prefer to work with. Last year I made excellent gains in reclaiming my basic strength and better endurance using heavy kettebells and barbell powerlift movements. However, as a result my mobility and range of motion suffered somewhat, not because I don’t spend the time on mobility, but the type of general compound exercise tends to develop power in mostly one plane. For instance, I do heavy squats and deadlifts but don’t do pistols or landmine exercises. I do pull-ups, usually one type and not skinning the cat. There is a huge array of body weight exercises I don’t use instead of basic pushups and situps that can bring back that mobility. Then there is Kettlebell juggling, which I would like to try more of that I have not worked with in months. So much fun and not enough time!


Where to training is another decision I have to make each day as I have my gym and another Key club gym across town that I have used at times for decades. Beyond that I really like to train on places like the hiking trails for running, HS track next to my house, a town park, 3 miles from me with a playground to do some body wt. “street” exercise, an abandoned state hospital facility with 2 miles of low traffic roads with hills. So there it is, having a wide variety of venues to train, I can never get stale and my cost is next to nothing, except maybe gas to get there. This year I will seek out new places to add spice to my fitness program. So much fun and not enough time.


When I travel for training I have what they call a BOB “bug out bag” . that’s an old survivalist term for a pack with all the essentials to have with you, when the “big one” is dropped and you have to hit the road for better lands. My so called BOB is designed with basic small equipment for training outside my home gym or when I leave for a vacation and want to keep my program going uninterrupted.


Let’s say I go to the track for some speed work. I have my stop watch and timers for doing intervals and my training journal, water and Ice if I have problems. Then there is the “tiger stick” so I don’t have to carry my foam roller. If we go over to the town park with the playground, then I have a improvised TRX rope to put up for some of that stuff. Beyond that there is the basic, stretch bands, tape, hand reps for boxing, gloves, small Indian clubs, carabineers, camera, chemical ice bags, first aid kit, water bottles, zone bars, and the list goes on. It’s all in a back pack, always sitting by the door ,ready to go when it’s time to train. There is nothing more pitiful then seeing a client come into a gym with a 2oz bottle of water and a shit-eating grin, and they think they are ready to get fit. LOL!

No comments: