Saturday, August 10, 2013

Go Ruck training...the beginning.

8/10/2013


        Over that last couple of weeks I stared to look into using “Go Ruck” style training with the goal of entering one of their events if I don’t fall apart in the process of “being all I can be”. Go Ruck is the brain child (demented at that) of Jason McCarthy, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) 2006-08, who is designed these various adventure events patterned after Special Forces selection process to become a Special Forces operator in the Army. Jason is also now a accomplished business man who designed and produces gear for the rucking events, that will hold up under tough conditions.

            In regards to training for these “Go Ruck” events, its basic GPP like Crossfit does with some added long duration “rucking” with a pak on your back all during the events. I currently training for the most part in Crossfit style with more devoted strength exercise which will have to slightly change to more varied mix of carrying heavy shit and mixing them with a rucking trip of running and walking longer distances. Since I am trained as a Crossfitter the variety of exercises will be no problem. The only issue is to increase body burden over time without getting overuse injuries like stress fractures. (they suck big time !)

            To add to some personal goals, I want to reduce my body  fat percentages so I can carry more burden. As my bodies weigh drops, I will add that pounds lost to my Xvest, which I am using in place of a Ruck sack. Xvest allows one to add weight one pound at a time,which makes for a gradual transition.

            Well, I will see how it goes for a few months as an experiment and determine if I want to enter one of the events in the future. Go Ruck !

Today training:
2.5 mile ruck with 15# Xvest weight in Local Park. Did some log lifts, stone carrying and a body weight exercises on the kiddy playground as I traveled around.
Later in the morning:

Ab roller sets.

Kettlebell cleans and presses

Kettlebell box step ups on 16” box.

Farmers walk with dumbbells 50 yard a set.

Heavy bag session for 30 min.

“the mission is sacred”

Ken

1 comment:

Victoria Heinicke said...

This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!.
ab roller sets