Monday, August 12, 2013

"Gear shuttle" WOD or carrying shit to the mission.

8/11/2013


               What to hell is a “Gear Shuttle”? This is a Jeff Martone's WOD he put out some time ago and have done a few times prior. It’s a killer! This routine is 3 rounds of 2- 50 yd. farmer’s type walks with 3 types of Kettlebell holding positions with 10 burpees after each trip. I told you it can be a killer.

                The first set of three is farmers walks with 32kg Kettlebells to 50yards with two times with 10 burpees after each trip, hence the gear shuttle. Then it’s the same two trips of 50yds and burpees and this time holding the 16 kettlebells in the rack position. Then the last two trips performed with 12kg kettlebells held over head with the burpees. That is the first round. Sounds like fun until you have to do this three times!

               I chose this WOD as part of my "Go Ruck" training for general body burden endurance that the Go Ruck requires. I did not use the suggested the 32kg farmer walk,24kg rack hold walk, and 16kg overhead walk. Instead I use. 24kg,12kg,10kg in pussy alternative.

               My math indicates 120 burpees, some sloppy, 300yds walking, and 300 yards holding a weight. I, like many others, are not a big fan of burpees as it feels like punishment for something I did not do. The over head walk is something I hardly ever do, but it’s just painful exercise that has no meaning other than punishment.  I learned at the last two rounds to move feet faster so not to hold weight any longer then needed.

42 min time, although I was not racing, just surviving.

The mission is sacred.

Ken

No comments: