Saturday, August 24, 2013

My first 5 weeks Go Rucking


8/22/2013       

MY WOD for today: (two sessions)

2 mile ruck with 4lbs. more weight at a quick pace. Morning session

Afternoon session; 

 Stretch bands and Indian clubs, light kettlebell snatches,  for warm-up

GHD sit-ups and back hyper extensions lots of set..lost count.

Safety squats: 12 sets on the one min.

Step-up squats on box:

One arm dumbbell snatches.

Heavy bag Thai kicking:

 

My experiment with Go Ruck training Part one..the first month.

            When I decided to enter a Go Ruck event, I looked up on the web of the sites and training used to complete the events. It seemed like a great fit for me as I train in similar fashion and will give me a goal instead of daily routine of training with no particular reason other than to maintain fitness. Go Ruck designed and lead by ex Special Forces operators who have successfully completed selection under the most arduous conditions. So the format of traversing by walking with heavy loads interspaced with exercise, outdoor conditions, and exercise in and unscripted format. Sounded good to me to exercise with a bunch of other like minded soles, over several miles.

            The first order is to find a suitable place to train daily what had varied terrain, with area to do body weight exercise like pull ups. I have a local park only three miles from my house what has most I needed with no traffic or little use. Except for the cross country team it is not a hot bed of fitness in my area. The park at one time had a “Par course” with all the stations, but it just about gone except for what remains after the vandals had their fun. That would have been ideal for Go Ruck training.

            The next consideration was the pak or weigh carrying equipment that requires you to participate with 30-40lbs pak for the whole 6-12 hour event. Since I was in the Navy, who hardly ever marched or never carried a pack except for the Navy Seals or medics, I had no experience carrying any thing for miles. Even when I ran ultra running races, there were water stops so I did not have to carry that either. I have and Xvest that has small 1lb weights that can be added or removed for any exercise. My vest will carry 60lbs full capacity. So I started out with 10 lbs on the vest for the first ruck. It was not that bad, but on the first 2 miles my pirformis muscles started to congest possibly from sitting on my ass too much. At the same time I planned to slowly increase the weight as my body weight reduced for the last consideration. Body weigh goes down I will add two to five lbs to the vest until I get to 30 lbs on the vest and change over to a ruck pak on some of the sessions.

            Next was my body weight which had crept up to over 200lbs, actually it was a pig fest, at 240. I took no responsibility for the weight gain by blaming it on a tendon injury. Therefore part of the reason for trying Go Ruck should get my ass in gear to lose the weight and be able to function. Think about it. If I did not lose the weight I would be hoofing around with a body burden of almost 300lbs…my joints would be mush or even a cardiac arrest in my future.

            As a trainer I know how to gain and lose weight, as it is primary in that profession. When competing in Power lifting, I would adjust my weigh for the various classes from 180 to 240 depending on how much weigh I wanted to handle or the completion that would be there. The good news after 5 weeks of Go Ruck, I have lost 22lbs. as of this morning!  The shit works!

Ken

The mission is sacred

No comments: