Saturday, September 14, 2013

On turning 70


               Today is my 70th birthday, so I was giving is some thought as I “Go Rucked” around the park this cool fall morning. Having lived that long and still do a lot of the things I did in my youth is a blessing. I can still run, but not as fast or as long. Lifting weights become heavier as though someone mislabeled the weights.  Time goes by so fast I have little time to do all the things I want to do, as there is a sense of urgency that can not be defined.

                I have always lived by the concept of “Kazan” which is a Japanese word for continuous improvement. It’s not like you have to lift more weigh or run faster, it’s really a process of constant adjustment to what the conditions are telling you and make very small adjustments to sustain or improve the situation. For instance, I can’t do heavy back squats with a straight bar as my shoulders are trashed from heavy lifting. Therefore I switched to a “Safety squat bar” to perform heavy squats. I spend more time now on joint mobility as the ageing process starts to turn you into a “stick figure”.  In terms of the mind-body relationship, I spend more time reading and analyzing what are the most effective forms of all things.

                Above all turning 70 or any advanced age provides you with a huge data base of experience of what works and what is stainable.  

Today’s training:

1 hour “Go Ruck”. Cool morning in the park, quick pace, felt good!

Later: Hero WOD “ Holbrook” 10 rounds of each.

5 Kettlebell thrusters

10 pull-ups ( a lot easier with 28 lbs lighter body weight.

100 yd. sprint ( that was ugly after a ruck)  

 

Ken

The mission is sacred

No comments: