Monday, December 10, 2012

winter training


12/10/12
 My training today:  2000 meter C2 rowing, Stretch bands, pushups
Up the rack; duel Kettlebell clean and press;
12kg,16,20,24,28kg sets of 5 reps( did one set with 32kg single.)
Barbell rowing: 225lbs set of 5 after each kb set.
Close grip: bench press with speed.  
GHD sit-ups 4 sets.

Training in cold

            I will never profess to be an expert on a lot of things fitness, but I know a plenty about training in cold weather. Other than my stint in the Navy in tropics or desert locations, I have always lived in NY State,  where there is lots snow and freezing weather. How cold was it? “Cold as a whore’s heart”.

            Months back I was reading an article in Starting Strength, by Bill Starr on his adventures of training in winter months. Bill Starr National class weight lifter and coach.  As he would say, made the “biggest strength advances in the heart of winter”, in primitive training environment, like an old barn. I agree with Mr. Starr 100% as I always looked forward to winter, not for cold ass weather, but for the opportunity to train my guts out without overheating sweating my ass off.

            I could afford to get inside when winter rears its ugly head and go to local Gold’s or “Planet Fatness”, but they don’t have any equipment I would ever use.(WTF I don’t use any machines) Therefore my gym mates and I either trained outside, in a garages, or unheated rented buildings like most power lifters do during the winter months.

            When I trained for running races years past, my best conditioning was in the spring when the season started. Those who did not run hard in the winter or not at all, took all spring to catch up. During my Korean karate days, it was normal to have no heated training hall or sometime outside.

             Now a days I have a steel building(crossfit style box) that has a heating system, but I never use it. When the system was activated, heat changed the dew point, and then in a short time, the steel barbells, Kettlebells, pull-up bars would sweat…… then rust. So I never give it a thought anymore that I even have a heating system.

            How to I keep warm when it 5 deg. Outside? Work you ass off, numb-nuts! There are however, a few items that makes the day more pleasant. For head (that did not sound right) is a beanie or skull cap, where heat liberates the most, and you can shed it as you over heat. Hands are a tough issue! I don’t like wearing gloves ever when lifting, but you have to pull back some to keep you hands from frostbite. Actually, if your hands sweat, they may stick to the very cold bar….no shit! I wear light painter gloves, for long duration Kettlebell lifts but leave them off if I am doing single lifts on the barbell with big globs of chalk.

            As for the rest of the body, that becomes a personal preference in winter attire. Normally some sweat pants and hoodie( you always look bad with a hoodie). Actually I only don light sweats and hoodie and  even that comes  off at times when you are overheating; so I am down to a tee shirt. Or there is “Under Armor” that kind of wicks away the sweat and keeps you warm.  Hell, when I ran years ago I only wore a hat, gloves, shorts and sun glasses (snow glare is a bitch on the eyes) and never had any adverse issues other than bleeding nipples. All most forget, a little extra in the crotch for the private areas.

            Only down sides with winter training, if you bicycle, the wind-chill factor can take ambient temperatures to new lows and makes protection a real challenge.  I never found a good foot protection that fits the bike and keeps me warm at the same time. The last thing is when you go for extended training sessions even in the gym, you will sweat even in below zero temps, so if you decrease your effort or stop for a time, the restart will not be pleasant. Matter of fact it will suck!
Ken
“The mission is sacred”

No comments: