Monday, February 13, 2012

Lumberjack workout today...but far from the real thing.

2/13/12


Lumberjack 20”
Did the “lumberjack 20”  WOD this morning.  Hell of a wake up call.
Warmup: Indian Clubs, Stretch bands, Foam roller. 
20 GHD
20 reps Reg BB deadlift(200#).  Then 500 meters rowing on C2
20 reps KB swings 24kg     Then 500 meters rowing on C2
20 Reps Sand bag OH squat. Then 500 meters rowing on C2
20 reps burpees                         Then 500 meters rowing on C2
20 reps pull-ups (No kip)    Then 500 meters rowing on C2
20 reps box jumps (16”)      Then 500 meters rowing on C2
20 reps Squat cleans (35# DB) Then 500 meters rowing on C2

Lumberjack WOD is a very intense and endurance level routine I found at the sites  from the Army engineers and Lumberjack Crossfit . I like it because it uses the whole body and no one body part gets jacked up, as not to recover the next day. It still a bitch regardless of my scaling of some of the benchmark levels, but it’s a great hour including the warm-up and joint mobility. Of all the exercises, it the burpees and DB squat cleans that gas you out each time. Normally you run on this WOD but my doctor advises me not to run too much if I want a few more good years out of my knees. Rowing is a great substitute as it does not impact the joints like running does, even with good technique.  This is not a beginners session but the combination of exercises coupled with the rowing can be split up or taken in sections as you don’t want to brake it off…..as you many want to use it again.

1 comment:

Ninja Black said...

Hi Ken,

My name is Wes, and I work with Kevin Swanwick. He introduced me to your blog and I've been reading it and it's fantastic.

I've been looking at picking up some kettlebells and Kevin suggested Federenko ones. I haven't been able to find any reputable places to purchase them though. I know Kevin is looking as well.

I would love it if you know a place and could let us know. I'd also love to learn and train with you, but you're a ways out from the city from what I understand.

Look forward to reading more of your blog.

Wes