Thursday, December 16, 2010

Crossfit work for the coming year.

Dec.15th.

Warmup: Indian Clubs, and light dumbbell for shoulders, form roller, jump rope. Joint mobility for legs and back..
3 Sets; Kettlebell pressing, pull-ups, DB swings and Kettlebell pull over and crunch
Second session:
heavy bags/speed bals, hands and legs. For 30 min.

Gut check on CrossFit exercise for next year;

Crossfit is gaining on the fitness world like a freight train. That being said, is it real?


1. For the last 6 years I have been using Crossfit or various versions of WODs into my daily fitness program. However, I don’t teach or coach the program myself even though I have a cert, but I still don’t believe it qualifies me to be a good coach. My reasoning is that I really can’t perform some of the exercises due to some physical limitations, so I content to use what I can do or scale the exercises I suck real bad at. The other thing, I don’t really want to be committed to a commercial “box” being well entrenched in retirement mode. Therefore I am content to have my personal Crossfit "box" next to my house with every toy and function to do any Crossfit routine. (don’t ask how much that cost me!) I will continue to use Crossfit WODs for the coming year because, they work and can use a vast number of exercises for a personal fitness program.


2. The upside of using Crossfit program is that it promotes intensity and variability. Crossfit program can be done almost daily if it’s planned out as not to get into over use issues. It works and the detractors can spit and sputter about its dangerous and can kill you(no one has died yet, but I have seen unfit joggers die during a marathon this year). The other fitness program out there can talk a lot of shit how intense it is and effective their program is, then look for the “poster boys and girls” to see the fruits of their program. Crossfit has hundreds of fit examples.


3. Once you become well schooled in Crossfit exercises, and most are very basic, like barbell clean and jerks, pull-ups and Kettlebell swings, you can compete against others in the nation in the “games”. However, you better had done your homework, as competitors are as serious as a heart attack! Crossfit as fitness promotes a competition style by timing each routine and matching your performance with others daily. However, you still have the option to perform at your level of capability. I will continue to time all my training as I have done in the past when I train mostly by myself, so I do need the added pressure of matching against the clock.


4. One size fits all program? Just about in my experience. There may even be too much for the average to handle or the professional to focus to be successful. I have gotten the Crossfit Journal since it was being published; therefore I have tons of fitness information that would take a life time to reconcile. Crossfit is constantly attempting to define fitness as a global concept for all to embrace. But the most important aspect as Crossfit evolves, is the continuous investigation of all so called stand alone sports like powerlifting, running, football, shooting, and the list is endless. Coach Glassman I think is trying to be as inclusive as possible so no one in the fitness world is left out considering his 10 elements of fitness applied to Crossfit. So regardless of your fitness interest from trail running to gymnastics to strongman training you can be part of the community. Also, you can follow or attend a “box” based on your personal style of training from the basic main site WOD to the more aggressive multiple WODs like SEALFIT site. My personal favorite is Tactical Athletic of Jeff Martone’s as it has a good combination of strength and endurance for someone who has to use tactical attributes that a fireman, LEO, or military which I will continue the coming year as it is for the real deal people on the street each day.

Dec. 14th

66 min run/walk in very cold weather.

No comments: